Sorry for the terrible photo. Once again trying to take pictures at night. I'm a day behind too because I was out of town for the weekend, but I'll catch up tomorrow. I have a 30x40 and a 30x30 on the go at the studio.
A few larger pieces got started today but here is a smaller painting to test out the sage green color again.
I liked the white on white painting the other day but it needed a little something so I covered it with this sage green colour and then scraped it back to reveal the raised whites of the trees. Then I added more layers of white. It turned out great...sooo tempted to keep this one...but I brought it to the gallery (www.KoymanGalleried.com) on Wednesday and it sold.
One of the nice things about encaustics is that you can save anything you scrape off, then melt it down and filter it. You can end up with some amazing neutral colours. The neutral background colour in the painting above and the sage in the painting below were both "sludge" colours. Thank goodness I was able to mix a sage colour today that was very close because I had a request to make some larger pieces with that green...phew.
2 wonderful ladies came to my studio on Friday. One of them bought some little birds from me before and her friend wanted some too (for a gift). I didn't have any left but told her I would be happy to paint some more, so that was today's project. She actually bought my day 4 painting too for herself. This is one of the birds for her.
I'm playing with colour a little bit. This series seems to work better with an analogous colour palette and I really want to try something in reds, but better to do a number of small ones to work out the colour before I go for something bigger.
Here is day 10 of the 30 in 30 challenge. Great news today! As of today, Koyman Galleries in Ottawa, Canada is now carrying my work. I dropped off 9 encaustic pieces today ranging is size from 12x30 to 24x48. Here is a link to their website. My work should be added to the website in the next couple of days.
I wanted to try doing something in acrylics in the same vein as my latest series of encaustics so here is my first attempt. It's a lot harder to build up the thicker drops so I'll have to keep exploring the technique. The longer drying time means I can't quickly build up thickness in the drops.
Here is #4 and the last of this trio. Tomorrow...something different. Something I really laerned this summer is that it's better to have multiples when you're painting small paintings. It's hard to hang a small painting on its own and better in a grouping.
Once again I'm going to attempt 30 paintings in 30 days. Getting 30 paintings done is easier than getting them posted to my blog. Anyway, here's #1/30. I'll try to get a better photo when I can take one when it's not dark out.
This is a 6"x6" encaustic.
I've been painting LOTS of encaustics in the last few months, including the biggest ones I've ever done...30x30, 24x28, 24x36, etc.