Tuesday, October 27, 2009


This is my submission for the latest DSFDF challenge. I painted it on unstretched canvas with the idea of using my sewing machine to do some detail work but didn't quite get that far. While this is not exactly one of my favourites, I learned a few things and got some ideas for some options to explore like these...

Monday, October 26, 2009

Tea Cup #1

I've been thinking of persuing one subject in a number of different ways in the hopes that it will help me to paint/create on a daily basis. So, I'm going to try that with a tea cup theme. This one has a little of everything in it, fabric, paint, paper, wax, and a the cup is from a printing plate I made from very thin styrofoam. I quite like the soft quality of the end result.

Friday, October 9, 2009

Experimenting with Encaustics

This has been a very experimental week as I tried encaustic painting on my own. Mixed media with wax might be more accurate because I used soy wax, not encaustic medium and it has paper and pastel and oil paint in it too!


I've been taking a printmaking class and while I've done lino-cuts before I've never used a press. What I'm looking forward to trying is solar plate etching. Here are a few of my attempts.

This one is a lino-cut on dry block-ptinting paper.

This one is the same lino-cut but using soy-based ink on damp rag paper. I'm not sure but I think I like the other one a little better.